Thursday, January 14, 2010

Nature Notes and Signs of the Seasons


Visit Michelle at the refreshing Nature Notes Thursday for a new look at the world.


On Saturday, Aaron and I went to the art center and when we were done, I told him I had read in the paper that the pond behind the museum was safe for skating. That was just intriguing enough to him that we drove down the lane and trekked over to the pond. It was as it has been - temperatures hovering around zero, frosty and snowy. In the photo below we are on the pond:
This is looking back toward the north. The art center is back there somewhere, but you can't see it from this view. I like the brown, bare trees against the pale blue sky.
While there is beauty in these weeks of snow coming in feet rather than inches and days of sub-zero temperatures, we here in Iowa, the Land of Canada, are jumping for joy at temperatures in the 30s and even in the 40s. We lost 2" of snow yesterday here in town. Up in the southwest corner of the state, they have snow drifts that are 20 feet high and they have 50" of snow on the ground. I hope we aren't looking at a flooding spring in a few months.

7 comments:

Carver said...

Those are both wonderful shots. I can understand why you may be ready for some snow melt although I wouldn't mind getting some snow here. However, it's warming up for at least a week where I live and we'll be getting rain.

Rambling Woods said...

Awww..cute photo of you and Aaron. I always think that winter is best enjoyed through a child's eyes. I too wonder about spring flooding with all the snow we have... Michelle

Anonymous said...

Two great shots. The winter seems so cold where you live.

eileeninmd said...

Great shots, it does look cold there. Did have fun skating?

Leora said...

I miss living in an area that gets lots of snow. Many complain about the cold in New Jersey, but it feels warm here compared to Canada. I love seeing all that snow. Hope you had fun.

Rose said...

We got relief from the cold, too! I was sooo ready for it.

Unknown said...

It does sound colder there than here in Ontario! We've been in the 20s and 30s here but it's a warmer than normal winter by several degrees on average. Crazy weather!

Love seeing the two of you out testing the ice. :)