Thursday, February 4, 2010

Homemade cough syrup



With a full can of Guinness and most of an onion, you can make homemade cough syrup. It tastes awful, but unlike the medicinal stuff you get at the store, this stuff can actually grow on you. What you see in that jelly jar is an entire can of Guinness boiled down into a ... syrup. Don't actually boil it, let it gently boil on low-medium heat. If you boil it on high, it will overflow the pan. It works. And plus, you aren't pouring a lot of who-knows-what down your throat.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

you forgot to add the molasses or brown sugar. And yes it DOES work

Caron said...

Dang, I really wondered about that and then decided not to add it. That would have made it taste MUCH better.

Rambling Woods said...

Could I skip the onion?..I have had a bug for the last week and I am tired of it.....I hope you are feeling better Caron.. Michelle

Caron said...

I am not sure if you can skip the onion. I now feel OK except for the rearrangement of stuff when I get up in the morning.