Thursday, May 13, 2010

Nature Notes-Every spring is the only spring - a perpetual astonishment. ~Ellis Peters


Visit Michelle at the fascinating Nature Notes Thursday to learn something interesting.

Updates:
1. There is no news on Question Mark Kitty.
2. No photos posted, either. I have been either busy or sleeping since I got back from my trip.
3. Today's post is full of quotes that make me smile and they're all about springtime!

Let's start with my favorite:

It's spring fever. That is what the name of it is. And when you've got it, you want - oh, you don't quite know what it is you do want, but it just fairly makes your heart ache, you want it so! ~Mark Twain

Now let's move on to the rest. I hope you see something you enjoy.

The sun was warm but the wind was chill.
You know how it is with an April day.
~Robert Frost

And a May day, apparently.

In the spring I have counted one hundred and thirty-six different kinds of weather inside of four and twenty hours. ~Mark Twain

Mark Twain, accurate meteorologist.

To be interested in the changing seasons is a happier state of mind than to be hopelessly in love with spring. ~George Santayana

That’s what Nature Notes is all about!

The first day of spring is one thing, and the first spring day is another. The difference between them is sometimes as great as a month. ~Henry Van Dyke

Or two months, but who’s counting?

Spring is not the best of seasons.
Cold and flu are two good reasons;
wind and rain and other sorrow,
warm today and cold tomorrow.
~Author Unknown

Spring is cruel. I prefer autumn for the steady descent into cold weather rather than the yanking back and forth of spring.

Yesterday the twig was brown and bare;
To-day the glint of green is there;
Tomorrow will be leaflets spare;
I know no thing so wondrous fair,
No miracle so strangely rare.
I wonder what will next be there!
~L.H. Bailey

It’s true that spring has more delightful garden surprises than any other season.

If I had my life to live over, I would start barefoot earlier in the spring and stay that way later in the fall. ~Nadine Stair

I do not like going barefoot except in my own backyard and this sounds like a good plan.

May is a pious fraud of the almanac. ~James R. Lowell

With 4.34” of rain just this week, I like to think of May being a fraud.

It was one of those March days when the sun shines hot and the wind blows cold: when it is summer in the light, and winter in the shade. ~Charles Dickens

Don’t just blame March. It’s April and May as well.

5 comments:

ramblingwoods said...

You know that I love quotes and these are some great ones. Thank you for showing that it doesn't have to be photos to be for Nature Notes Caron... did you get the frog tote yet? I ordered it that very day.. Michelle

Caron said...

You're welcome and thank goodness it doesn't have to be photos this week!! :)

I haven't gotten the tote yet, but probably because I am checking the mailbox all the time: a watched pot never boils.

Carver said...

What a great post for nature notes. I love all the quotes but my favorite is "In the spring I have counted one hundred and thirty-six different kinds of weather inside of four and twenty hours. ~Mark Twain". In NC where I live we went from 40 at night and 60 during the day to 70 at night and 90 during the day within a space of 48 hours then back again to the cool and now we're back again to the hot. What gets me is within 30 hours to literally have a 50 degree change in temperature, BIZARRE.

eileeninmd said...

Great post and I love the quotes!

MyMaracas said...

What a great collection of quotes! I really enjoyed these - it's a nice change of pace for Nature Notes.

Thanks for your fun comment at my place too!