Sunday, May 30, 2010

Update on Boomer/BBQ

I saw Galen the Raccoon Dad yesterday and he said he met with the rehabber and everything went without a hitch. She said the baby was only a few days old and everything he did (and me, too, with the rice sock and heating pad) was just perfect. Raccoons can't have straight milk replacer and Galen knew that. He made up the raccoon milk recipe and that's what the baby had been taking.

It is possible, very possible, mama had just given birth to Boomer when the scared her off. Poor thing. The rehabber explained what she does and how things will go from now on. Handling the raccoon was OK, but there will be very little handling now so as it to keep it wild. Best case is that when he gets old enough and is moved to the final kennel with the door that is always open, he will leave and not come back.

Thanks to Michelle at Rambling Woods for being willing to help me when I needed to ask for reassurance.

Last week I looked into the freezer and saw two huge pork roasts from a few months back. I needed the room, so I put them in the fridge to thaw and I decided to have a BBQ today. I made pulled pork and macaroni salad and two desserts. I bought patriotic decorations and did up the deck. I cut peonies and bought sugary drinks the kids are normally allowed to have. Everyone showed up and had a good time despite the heat. The kids got tired and started to cry, which ended the party at the two-hour mark and right now my portion of the crying children are asleep in separate bedrooms.

It's been a good day. Hope you are enjoying your summer kick-off.

4 comments:

Susan at Stony River said...

I've been wondering about the poor little guy and his Mom - thank you for the happy update!

and happy weekend too!

EG CameraGirl said...

I'm glad the baby is still doing OK. It must have a strong will to survive.

ramblingwoods said...

I'm glad that the baby is still alive and it's great that you did all the right things. I have been trying to learn the right things, but I have a rehabber friend I can call....and I do.... How these little babies touch our hearts... Glad you had a good day Caron...hugs to you...Michelle

Caron said...

It was so cool to be a part of the work that day. I also thought about his will to survive. :)