Saturday, March 1, 2014

Saying goodbye

Saying goodbye is always difficult. I sat next to my guys and alternated between crying and not crying and trying not to cry. Predictably, a headache resulted.

There were three of us at the church who had Liberian children in our hearts and lives. As I sat there, I could see Lisa. She was with the dearly departed almost every day since the diagnosis of a brain tumor last May. And as I told God how grateful I was that my boys are still with me, I thought of Marge who sat behind us. They lost a little one to drowning in 2006. The words 'one in three' popped into my head and broke my heart. I prayed selfishly to keep my boys safe from all harm forever.

The youngest one (of three: he's 12) told me he wanted to pray with everyone, but he didn't want to go forward alone. So I went up with him and that was hard. I was awfully proud, though. He asked me how to get everyone to pray! I assured him that when he asked everyone to bow their heads, they would. He maybe didn't believe me, but they did as he asked and he led the entire church in prayer.

It was a full and emotional day.

3 comments:

Montanagirl said...

Such a sweet post. How brave of the 12 year old to go forward....

Rose said...

Sitting here teared up...not sure why. So wonderful that the 12 yr. old would do that...

Rambling Woods said...

Me too tearing up...