Sunday, January 5, 2014

Christmas Starter Pack

Each year at Christmas, I rummage through the storage under the stairs dragging out boxes and sweepers and dusty seasonal items that I forgot I had until I get to the Christmas stash. Hunched over and hitting my head on the low ceiling, I'm hot and annoyed. I get everything stacked in the laundry room, then shove all the other crap back inside. Full of the joy of the season at this point! 
While I go through it all, I see things I realize I could have used before I finally convinced myself that the do-I-or-don't-I decorating drop-dead date had arrived. Further annoyed and popping open a festive bottle of wine at this point.
This weekend I had a crackpot idea: I created a Christmas Starter Pack as I put stuff away. It's meant to be opened in November (when more organized, jolly women are putting up their tree). In it I put a few nativities for Advent, cards and stickers and outfits for the cats in case I can get anybody to wear one next fall. Naturally, I can't remember what else I should pack in there, so if you have any ideas, let me know. It's at the very front of all the boxes and bins so I can get to it.

4 comments:

Rose said...

This is a good idea....every year I threaten to address two Christmas cards...one for the current year and one for next year. I have yet to follow through.

Vicky Clinkscales said...

I have one boxed marked "Christmas First" - it has my magnetic Dec. calendar, the advent calendar quilt, Christmas placemats, Christmas CDs, etc. All those things that I want to be using before Steve is ready to have the tree up taking up half the living room. Has worked well for me. :)

Caron said...

The Advent calendar - what a great idea!

Rambling Woods said...

Oh that is a good idea as I can never remember what I have if it is out of sight...