Thursday, August 13, 2009

An entire generation or two?

I was talking to a friend of mine this afternoon and she said, "If it weren't for bad luck..." and I started to sing, "Gloom, despair, and agony on me, Deep, dark depression, excessive misery, If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all, Gloom, despair, and agony on me."

She said she didn't know the song and I said, "I bet you do. I bet you listened to it on Sunday nights at your grandma & grandpa's house."

She said, "Hee Haw?" Bingo!

I thought about how we watched Hee Haw and the Lawrence Welk Show at grandma's house. An entire generation of kids don't go to their grandparents house on Sunday evenings and you know what? I think that's a shame.

3 comments:

Badass Geek said...

My family used to visit my grandparents on a weekly basis when I was growing up. We often didn't watch TV, but we were still there. I'm glad we did, because my grandfather passed away when I was still pretty young, but I still got a chance to know him because of those visits.

Rose said...

I never knew the joys of having grandparents that I visited often, and to this day I feel like I missed out on something.

Caron said...

BG: It is a nice gift and I wonder if you ever catch yourself acting, saying something or doing something like your grandpa. I know I do!

Rose: That's too bad, I wish you had gotten to know them. We were fortunate to have our grandparents around until well into our adult lives.