Thursday, August 6, 2009

Kitchen stress relief, part one: pico de gallo

Having a bad day? Why yes, I was, so I resorted to what I did when I was in college. Chop, dice, mince, obliterate.
I squeezed the juice and seeds out of and then cut two tomatoes into chunks and with the help of Pampered Chef, I made tiny pieces. It might have been a better idea to skin the tomatoes, but I wasn't really thinking about boiling water this afternoon.
To keep the pico de gallo from turning into soup, I put it in a colander that is set inside a bowl.

I cut up a jalapeno pepper. You can't see it in the picture I chose, but I was wearing gloves on both hands. I once blew into an empty spice jar in order to get the tiny little remnants of leftover spice out of the bottom. Stupid DA, me. No, it wasn't black pepper. Worse than that, it was chile pepper. And I wore contact lenses. Anyway, I guess you could say I learned my lesson the hard way.

I chopped up a clove of garlic with the help of Pampered Chef.

Most of a white onion met up with the CrazyPampered Chef as well. Chop, chop, chop, chop. Dice, mince, slice...

I put everything into the colander because onions have water in them as well.

Cilantro. Rip, tear, cut...

Delightfully tart limes keep things from spoiling and add lovely flavor. But this went into the storage bowl with some kosher salt. No reason to put that in the colander, right? The yummy goodness would drain away=bad.

Sprinkle a very little bit of salt over all and let it drain for awhile. Soon it will begin to look sort of dry. Put it in the fridge and let the flavors spend some time getting to know one another.

1 comment:

Natasha said...

Now that looks good. Samuel would like some despite the heartburn.