Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A full evening


Last night was busy with yard work and seeing the grandkids, but it was a tough day all around for me and I couldn't wait to go to sleep. I raked dead grass out of patches in the front yard that were killed with RoundUp because someone couldn't get rid of the crabgrass. He decided to kill it all. So I raked and he put down dirt and grass seed. Our house is 30 years old and I have four peony bushes that I think must be just about as old as the house. They are the biggest ones I have seen in the neighborhood. Last year I bought rings and I couldn't get rings large enough to go around one of them. I have been looking at other peonies and I haven't seen any with as many buds as mine. Julie and I picked off some of the really small ones and got our fingers completely stuck together with peony goo. I paid attention last year and I remember that these four bushes didn't bloom until the others in the nearby yards were already well on their way. These four bushes positively riot. I'll post photos when they let loose. Also, if you need rhubarb, come on over. There are a couple people who have a standing invitation to raid the rhubarb plant. It's lovely to look at, but it could feed dessert to a family of eight for a year. One year we had baby rabbits living under the leaves. Last year I planted penstemon and it is coming in with a vengence this year. I've included a photo of what it should look like. We'll see how it goes as the weather warms up.

No comments: