Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Nature Notes Thursday and Signs of the Season


Visit Michelle at the eye-catching Nature Notes Thursday Meme for incredible photos of the season. Check out this week's milkweed pod photo. You'll be glad you did. It looks so soft, you may try to touch it with your fingertip.

Here in the Midwest, it has gotten cold. Don't these photos look cold? I think they do, but I was there. I can attest to it being cold. Brrrrrrrrr
Don't let the green grass fool you!

I like this log and I hope it is home to many creatures.

Lastly, here is a photo of the fireworks tree. The homeowner was in the yard gathering leaves and like a professional stalker, I took a third photo of his house. My photo/description may be down at the local cop shop by now.
---------
For the last two weeks, I have had a goldfinch visit the windowsill of my office many, many times a day. This week, so far, he hasn’t made an appearance. The new thing this week is that it is windy (when does that stop?) and the leaves are not falling to the ground, they are being blown into and against my window with enough flittering speed that when I am not actually looking straight out my window, my brain thinks I have incoming birds.
I have jumped more than once. Maybe this constant threat is why my neck is a little stiff. In five years, I have had two birds fly right into my window and scare the stuffing out of me, so this isn’t that far-fetched.
Grace in small things
1. Soaking rain
2. The smell of warm dirt
3. Gentle breezes (b/c right now it's all Canadian blast)
4. Sitting on the porch swing
5. Fluffy white clouds

14 comments:

Carver said...

I like that log too and bet it is home to many. All beautiful shots. I know what you mean about birds and windows. That scares me too and sometimes it can be fatal to the birds that run into windowns. The noises that have been spooking me lately are acorns landing very loudly on my roof.

Unknown said...

"Professional stalker." I like that phrase.

It has been a bit chilly here too. And overcast.

Your goldfinches may be visiting my gardens. There's evidence. Somebody has been eating my Echinacea seeds!

Nicole said...

OK, I've turned the AC off.
I got officially cold just looking at your beautiful pics :D

I like "professional stalker"...snicker :D

Gemma Wiseman said...

Great series of autumn photos! That log looks like a great place for sheltering small animals!

Our chills of winter on the Mornington Peninsula in Victoria, Australia have finally abated today and allowed Spring a bit of time! At last! But the winds are still lurking!

Badass Geek said...

Those pictures do look cold. Nice job.

Gel said...

Hiya D,

I LOVE the log photo! On our hike this past weekend, I took many shots of decaying logs and such, peering inside, wondering what lived or will live in there, while my patient hubs looked elsewhere. Haha, I like the term "professional stalker" for a photographer "invading" neighbors. Hmm, maybe THAT is why I receive so many stares from my neighbors while I'm shooting...

Gel said...

oops I should have said "HI C"
but it gave me a chance to read your post again. Hmm. have you thought you might need to close that window? Seems a shame with such beautiful weather but those birds- what a story. Enjoyed your conversational post very much. Lovely array of photos!

Caron said...

Let me clarify!! Defend myself!!

The window in question is on the east wall of an office building. I can't open it or close it.

Such a bummer in good weather. I would love being able to open my window!

eileeninmd said...

Great series of photos, I love the log too, I sure some kind of critter ha a home there.

Squirrel said...

Cold as it was the photos turned out great!

MyMaracas said...

Looks like the show's over for the fireworks tree. Still, I like the way it stands in a big red drift of leaves.

The wind has stripped most of our leaves off over the last two days, and the rain has made a soggy mess of the milkwees. Winter's on its way.

Love the way you've framed the log shot, and the whiteness of it.

Caron said...

I should get cards that say Professional Stalker. I am a little jealous about Australia getting springtime. I want things to bloom! I feel sort of sad to see the fireworks tree go. I will check it out early this week to see how it fares.

Rambling Woods said...

I love the log. I just took a photo of one I found in the woods full of woodpecker holes.. I am glad that you pointed out something that could be easily overlooked....Michelle

Anonymous said...

It does look cold! Lovely photos.

Time to take stalking to the next level. Introduce yourself to them. That's what most stalkers do...