Monday, October 5, 2009

Oh what fun it is to ride through downtown Des Moines

Here is a dog peeing on a fire hydrant! This is outside a popular lunchtime restaurant in the East Village.
Festive fall decor:
Outside a big insurance company. We have many, many of those in this town.
This park with the water running through is west of the public library and east of Meredith Publishing. Chances are very good you know Meredith: magazines and local television stations all over the country start here. Most notably: Better Homes and Gardens. I purposely put my coffee cup in the photo. Just across the street from here, I got an 8 ounce cup (not full) of hot, black coffee for $1.33. Note to self: bring your own coffee. That's expensive in this town.
I noticed the plantings at the library when I ran past the library in the Capital Pursuit. I was really taken with the way they use rhubarb in the plantings. Doesn't it look great against the yellow flowers?
These three-planting stands line the two main streets through downtown. These are right outside...wait for it...a really large insurance company.
The plantings vary and in the winter, they are lovely with evergreens. I'll get some later in the year.

6 comments:

Badass Geek said...

That dog sculpture thing is awesome!

RA said...

Beautiful shots! The first one is very unique. Thanks for sharing. Have a wonderful week :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pics. The one time I was in DM for business I was really impressed with the beauty of the city.

JC said...

Nice photos ...

Aunt Becky said...

Okay, so you need to steal that sculpture and send it to me NOW.

Rambling Woods said...

I do love the dog but everything looks so fresh and clean..you wouldn't see that in downtown Buffalo NY....