Tuesday, October 20, 2009

This is full of the stoopid

Just between you and me, I got a parking ticket today. Don't tell anyone. (hangs head in shame)

I went to lunch with a friend I haven't seen in a very long time and I parallel parked, so of course I did that because I was on a city street. Being on a city street in the daytime on a Tuesday means parking meeting.

My brain knows this.

I leapt from my car with a glad cry and ran over to her side of the car to be sure she didn't trip on the curb as I park like a PROFESSIONAL and I was only inches from the curb. I had pulled up next to an opening in the curb, which was perfect for her feet to safely maneuver. I acted as if I had planned this and yes, I took full credit, but secretly she knew better.

We were so pleased with her safety and pleased at my parking we exclaimed in happy joy and trotted down the sidewalk to a trendy piano bar in the East Village. Lovely.

About 30 or so minutes into the Event, after we hard scarfed down fabulous BLTs, it hit me like a ton of bricks and I threw up my hands and gasped.

Seriously. I really did throw up my hands and gasp. I'm quite the drama queen.

I decided not to sweat it. If the city was up to par today, I already had a ticket. So we chatted and enjoyed yourselves. When we walked out the door, I saw it right away. My very own ticket glinting in the sunless glare of the overcast sky, peeking just above the hood of my bright blue car.

Delightful.

Last time I got one, it was only $5. Today's ticket is worth $15 and if I wait just one month, I get to pay them an extra fiver. I joked about shoving it in my glovebox so that one day when my car gets impounded, they will discover that I am a miscreant with an unpaid ticket.

She was super sweet about it and she gave me $7 to pay for half of it. I love going to lunch with her even when she doesn't cover my stupidity. I never even put money in the meter and I had four pounds of American currency silver-colored coins in my purse.

Did I mention that the ticket says Violation: Overtime Parking (Expired)? I wonder if I take it to court and fight it based on the fact that it was not, in point of fact, an expired meter would I win the case?

2 comments:

Badass Geek said...

Parking tickets are so aggravating.

Rambling Woods said...

You could fight..is it worth it is what you have to decide...